Thursday, September 16, 2010

VMAs 2010

Thank goodness for the ability to record TV shows.  After skipping the commercials and performances I didn't want to see, I think I spent about an hour watching what would've been a three hour show.  Especially because it wasn't very good.

It's kind of sad that the musical talent at the Emmys (Jimmy Fallon and a number by Jewel) was better than most of what we saw at the MTV Video Musica Awards.  Most people at the VMAs started singing live and then switched immediately to background recordings.  I realize you need that when you're dancing around (like Usher), but when your background recording screams AutoTune and your dancing takes you back to the '90s, it's a little depressing.  I was even disappointed by "good" singers like Taylor Swift, who usually sounds okay live but this time was so quiet I couldn't hear her. 

The one act I was impressed by, though, was the seamless four-song combo by Bruno Mars, B.o.b., Hayley Williams, and Parramore.  I don't even like any of their songs especially, but the way they melted into one sequence over the different genres impressed me.  Oh, and what?  People singing without background vocals or a huge band and even singing AND playing an instrument?  Uh-oh. 



I thought Mary J. Blige sounded great as always even though only being the "featuring" part of the song she was in; Florence and the Machine was also great.  Eminem did a duet about abuse that I only listen to because of the female part... wait, didn't he already do that in like '99?  Lady Gaga was her usual annoying self, but could've at least performed.  Also missed Katy Perry and Beyonce.  Overall, the show was pretty bad, but I was mainly watching it for Chelsea Handler anyway.

No comments: